Canada is a recreational cannabis market that has tremendous future growth in retail due to nascent rollouts in various provinces.
- Medical use because legal in 2001 and recreational use in 2018.
- Recreational sales were $907M in the first year and sales are expected to grow to over $3B annually by 2022.
- In Canada (37.6M people) over 17% over 15 have used cannabis in the past year.
- Ontario (14.6M people & largest population) switched from a government-led retail model to a private retail model in 2019.
- Manitoba (1.4M people) opened to new store applicants in 2020.
- In Alberta (4.7M people) there are over 400 retail license holders, primarily in the greater Calgary area.